I thought going into my second trimester was going to be an easy transition. I was looking forward to my first trimester symptoms of nausea and fatigue to subside and I’d be enjoying the honeymoon stage of my pregnancy. However, that wasn’t quite the case. The nausea did go away, but a week after entering the new year, I caught the cough/cold bug. It started with the most irritating cough that wouldn’t let me sleep, and with the lack of sleep, it just went downhill from there. I don’t usually get so sick from a cough/cold. A cup or two of Neocitran usually helps me sleep at night & in a couple days, I’d feel better. But because I’m pregnant I couldn’t take it. Instead, I drank cups of ginger, lemon & honey. It helped calm my irritating cough for a bit but it wasn’t enough to help me get the rest I needed to get better. I went to see my doctor and she suggested I use a nasal spray to help clear my sinuses. I’m not sure if that really helped but I used it anyway as per doctor’s/package instructions. A good friend of mine was so kind to give me a roller of essential oils to help with what I was feeling and I think it did coz each time I rolled it on my neck/chest, my sinuses cleared up a bit and I’d catch a few zzzz’s.
After a few days of rest, my cough wasn’t as irritating anymore and I was able to sleep a lot better. Each day after that the symptoms slowly went away. I feel a lot better today but my cough is still lingering and I still sound a bit stuffed up or I have a sore throat that’s making my voice sound hoarse. It’s been a few weeks now and I’m surprise that it’s still around. I don’t know if it’s a really bad bug that’s going around or if it’s because I’m pregnant and my immune system isn’t as strong. Nonetheless, I’m so glad I’m feeling so much better than when it all started 🙂
This is what I’ve been feeling lately:>
- I’m feeling very large like I should have had my baby yesterday.
- I’m walking, I mean wobbling like a penguin already.
- I’m making a lot of trips to the bathroom.
- Walking up a flight of stairs feels like I just climbed Mount Everest.
- I have a 30minute reminder set up on my work computer to get up and go for a walk around the office or my back/belly aches so much that it feels like I could scream so loud and want rip my belly off my body! (yes, it’s drastic but it’s how I feel and that’s how uncomfortable I can get)
- I’ve been feeling like I could sleep all day, everyday!
- My feet are already looking slightly swollen
Although I’m feeling uncomfortable, I am thankful for these experiences because it means that there is a baby and it’s growing! & that’s the best part of it 🙂